The Foxborough Flu took on new meaning as the New England Patriots returned for practice Wednesday, and it saw eight players sent home.
“Guys came in, you look in their eyes and you could tell they were just out of it,” safety and captain Devin McCourty said in his press conference afterward.
Thanksgiving Day brought an improved prognosis, as well as an unforeseen absence.
Patriots kicker Nick Folk underwent an appendectomy early Thursday morning, a league source confirmed to CLNS Media’s Mike Petraglia, leaving field goals up in the air for Sunday against the Houston Texans. An additional four remained sidelined due to illness.
Here’s the second injury report heading into the 8:20 p.m. ET kickoff at NRG Stadium.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: TE Ryan Izzo (illness), OT Isaiah Wynn (illness), LB Dont’a Hightower (illness), CB Joejuan Williams (illness), K Nick Folk (appendix)
- Texans: DT Carlos Watkins (hamstring)
Izzo, Wynn, Hightower and Williams did not return in time for Thursday’s practice. As for Folk, New England’s third kicker of the season has gone 7-of-9 on field goals and 3-of-3 on extra points since signing at the close of October.
Watkins remained the lone non-participant for the AFC South-leading Texans due to a hamstring injury.
- Patriots: QB Tom Brady (shoulder), WR Mohamed Sanu (ankle), WR Phillip Dorsett (concussion), Julian Edelman (shoulder), WR Matthew Slater (hamstring), OT Marcus Cannon (illness), G Jermaine Eluemunor (illness), DE John Simon (elbow), LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (knee), LB Jamie Collins (illness), CB Jason McCourty (groin), CB Stephon Gilmore (illness), S Nate Ebner (ankle/back), S Patrick Chung (illness/heel)
- Texans: WR Will Fuller (hamstring), OT Tytus Howard (ankle), DT Angelo Blackson (shoulder), LB Brennan Scarlett (shoulder), CB Gareon Conley (hip), CB Lonnie Johnson (ankle), CB Bradley Roby (hamstring)
After practicing fully to begin the week, Brady reverted to a limited workload on Thursday due to an elbow issue that popped up on the injury report to conclude Week 12. Eluemunor, Collins, Gilmore and Chung all returned for the Patriots in the same fashion after missing Wednesday due to illness.
Houston would have the same seven limited for the second session of the week.
- Patriots: no played listed
- Texans: S Mike Adams (concussion), S Justin Reid (concussion)
The Texans designated a pair of safeties as full practice participants once again Thursday.
Adams and Reid both passed concussion protocol, and are full speed ahead in preparations to host New England on Sunday night.