The day changed, but attendance remained the same for the New England Patriots.
No kicker would be present for Thursday’s practice in Foxborough. No kicker has been since the release of Nick Folk was met by the release of Kai Forbath.
Absences also continued for center Ted Karras and rookie defensive lineman Byron Cowart as New England’s meeting with the Kansas City Chiefs draws closer.
Here’s an updated prognosis for Sunday’s 4:25 p.m. ET kickoff at Gillette Stadium.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: C Ted Karras (knee), DT Byron Cowart (head)
- Chiefs: RB Damien Williams (rib), DE Frank Clark (illness/shoulder), CB Morris Claiborne (shoulder), CB Rashad Fenton (hamstring)
Karras suffered a reported MCL sprain against the Houston Texans, while Cowart had been ruled out for the matchup at NRG Stadium after appearing on New England’s Friday injury report as limited. Karras has started all 12 games at center this season in the absence of captain David Andrews. His absence from the offensive line now thrusts 30-year-old James Ferentz, who made his first career start at right guard this fall, into the middle. As for Cowart’s absence, it leaves the Patriots with a healthy four at defensive tackle, including recent waiver claim Albert Huggins.
On Kansas City’s side, Clark joined the non-participants due to an illness. The defensive end had been limited in Wednesday’s practice having injured his shoulder last weekend versus the Oakland Raiders. The Chiefs placed running back Darrel Williams, sidelined by a hamstring injury, on injured reserve Thursday morning.
- Patriots: QB Tom Brady (toe/elbow), QB Cody Kessler (illness), WR Mohamed Sanu (ankle), WR Julian Edelman (shoulder), OT Marcus Cannon (illness), LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (knee), CB Jason McCourty (groin), S Patrick Chung (heel)
- Chiefs: no players listed
After beginning the week as a full participant despite toe and elbow ailments, Brady checked in as limited for the Patriots on Thursday. New England’s third quarterback, Kessler, also practiced to that degree due to illness while the six others were also limited on Wednesday.
No Chiefs to take the field on Thursday did so in a limited capacity.
- Patriots: no players listed
- Chiefs: QB Patrick Mahomes (knee), OT Eric Fisher (groin), DT Derrick Nnadi (elbow), DE Alex Okafor (ankle), CB Kendall Fuller (thumb)
While no Patriots graduated to full participation, five Chiefs remained in that tier.
But Kansas City removed wide receiver Tyreek Hill and safety Jordan Lucas from the injury report on Thursday. Both had been designated as full participants the day prior with hamstring and shoulder injuries, respectively.