The New England Patriots stepped onto the practice fields Wednesday without two members of the active roster.
And it is an active roster doesn’t currently include starting left tackle Isaiah Wynn, who will spend at least eight weeks on New England’s injured reserve due to turf toe. The No. 23 overall pick in the 2018 NFL draft is eligible to begin practicing in six weeks.
Here’s the initial practice report of this week leading up to Sunday’s 1 p.m. ET meeting with the New York Jets.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: FB James Develin (neck), LB Shilique Calhoun (not injury related)
- Jets: QB Sam Darnold (illness), RB Trenton Cannon (ankle), WR Josh Belamy (shoulder), WR Demaryius Thomas (hamstring/knee), DT Quinnen Williams (ankle), LB Jordan Jenkins (calf), LB C.J. Mosley (groin)
New England’s streak of perfect attendance ended with Develin and Calhoun listed as non-participants Wednesday. Develin played 27 snaps on offense and four on special teams in the Patriots’ 43-0 rout of the Miami Dolphins last Sunday. As for Calhoun, who started Week 1 against the Pittsburgh Steelers in place of Kyle Van Noy, the edge linebacker checked in for 24 snaps on defense and 17 on special teams. Calhoun’s absence was not related to injury.
Seven Jets sat out Wednesday, including a recent veteran trade acquisition in Thomas.
- Patriots: QB Tom Brady (calf), TE Matt LaCosse (ankle), OT Caleb Benenoch (calf), OT Marcus Cannon (shoulder)
- Jets: OT Kelvin Beachum (ankle), G Brian Winters (shoulder), DT Steve McLendon (hip), S Rontez Miles (hip)
LaCosse caught a pair of passes for 33 yards in his debut last Sunday after not playing a snap in New England’s opener due to an ankle sprain. And the 30-year-old Cannon was inactive in Miami Gardens with the shoulder injury that designated him questionable. Both Brady and Benenoch, signed Tuesday, surface on the report with calf ailments.
Four Jets were tagged as limited participants in this week’s first injury report. All four played Monday night against the Cleveland Browns, with Beachum, Winters and McLendon all starting.
- Patriots: RB Brandon Bolden (hamstring)
- Jets: WR Braxton Berrios (hamstring), G Alex Lewis (shoulder), DE John Franklin-Myers (foot), LB Harvey Langi (knee), LB Frankie Luvu (hand), S Marcus Maye (calf)
The Patriots had downgraded Bolden from questionable to out last weekend after a hamstring injury left the do-it-all back limited in practice. Bolden partook in a full capacity on Wednesday.
Former Patriots in Berrios and Langi were among the Jets’ full participants.