A day after all 53 were present and accounted for, the New England Patriots practiced with an active roster of 52 on Thursday.
Offensive tackle Marshall Newhouse, who’d participated in a limited capacity despite an illness Wednesday, did not do the same as preparations for the Buffalo Bills continue. The well-traveled September signing has started at both right and left tackle over the last two weeks, playing every snap in the respective absences of Marcus Cannon and Isaiah Wynn.
Seven others were listed as limited for New England on Thursday’s injury report.
Here’s the prognosis leading up to Sunday’s 1 p.m. ET kickoff in Orchard Park.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: OT Marshall Newhouse (illness)
- Bills: RB Frank Gore (rest), WR Isaiah McKenzie (ankle), TE Tyler Kroft (ankle), LB Corey Thompson (ankle)
If Newhouse is unable to go at New Era Field, the Patriots’ blindside options include starting left guard Joe Thuney as well as recent acquisitions in Korey Cunningham and Caleb Benenoch.
As for Buffalo’s side of the sidelined, the omission of rookie running back Devin Singletary is a key development. Singletary had missed the Bills’ last game in addition to Wednesday’s session because of a hamstring injury. The Florida Atlantic product is averaging 12.7 yards per rushing attempt over a brief sample size this fall.
- Patriots: RB Rex Burkhead (foot), WR Julian Edelman (chest), TE Ryan Izzo (calf), TE Matt LaCosse (ankle), DE Michael Bennett (shoulder), LB Dont’a Hightower (shoulder), S Nate Ebner (groin)
- Bills: RB Devin Singletary (hamstring), WR Robert Foster (groin), WR Zay Jones (shoulder), G Jon Feliciano (neck), CB Taron Johnson (hamstring), CB Tre’Davious White (neck)
Ten players, including Newhouse, stood among the limited on the Patriots’ initial injury report of the week. That number reduced in time for the second injury report, with quarterback Tom Brady going without a designation after dealing with a calf issue.
And for Buffalo, Foster’s limited tag due to a groin ailment is a new arrival. The wideout has appeared in each game thus far into 2019.
- Patriots: G Joe Thuney (shoulder), OT Marcus Cannon (shoulder)
- Bills: no players listed
The aforementioned Thuney went from a limited to a full participant on Thursday. And Cannon had been upgraded to full participation earlier this week, after suffering his shoulder injury in the Patriots’ season opener and returning to start New England’s 30-14 win over the New York Jets last weekend.
Several Bills veterans received rest days to begin the week and have since gone unlisted.