The New England Patriots began on-field preparations for the New York Jets shorthanded.
Seven members of the active roster were sidelined for Wednesday’s walkthrough, including a pair of veteran starters along the offensive line, a captain in the secondary, and rookie linebackers in Michigan’s Josh Uche and Alabama’s Anfernee Jennings.
Here’s the first injury report heading into Sunday’s 1 p.m. ET season finale at Gillette Stadium.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: G Shaq Mason (calf), C David Andrews (calf), LB Tashawn Bower (neck), LB Josh Uche (foot), LB Anfernee Jennings (shoulder), LB Terez Hall (ankle), S Devin McCourty (shoulder)
- Jets: RB Frank Gore (chest/lung), OT Chuma Edoga (not injury related), G Josh Andrews (thigh), DE John Franklin-Myers (not injury related), LB Neville Hewitt (not injury related), CB Bless Austin (not injury related), CB Javelin Guidry (knee), CB Bryce Hall (not injury related), S Marcus Maye (not injury related)
Each of New England’s non-participants exited Monday night’s 38-9 loss to the Buffalo Bills. Uche, drafted No. 60 overall, got the start next to Hall and Bower for the defensive front before leaving with a foot injury. Jennings, drafted No. 87 overall, left with five minutes remaining due to a shoulder injury. And McCourty was a seventh departure. The tenured safety, who played a season-low 35 defensive snaps, would be spotted at Wednesday’s practice after suffering a shoulder injury of his own. But wide receiver Julian Edelman remained absent, per the pool report, as his window to return from injured reserve nears its closure.
Nine sat out Wednesday’s practice for New York. Six of whom did so for non-injury reasons.
- Patriots: RB Damien Harris (ankle), WR Donte Moncrief (thigh), WR Matthew Slater (knee), OT Jermaine Eluemunor (ankle), OT Justin Herron (ankle), DT Lawrence Guy (shoulder), DT Byron Cowart (back), DT Adam Butler (shoulder), LB Shilique Calhoun (knee), LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (shoulder), CB J.C. Jackson (knee), LS Joe Cardona (ankle), K Nick Folk (back)
- Jets: WR Jeff Smith (shoulder)
Limited were four Patriots who had been listed as questionable on the final injury report of Week 16 and sent to the inactives. That list featured Harris at running back, Guy at defensive tackle, Calhoun at outside linebacker and Bentley at inside linebacker.
Smith marked the lone partial participant for the Jets on Wednesday. The wideout, dealing with a shoulder injury, logged 56 percent of the work on special teams in last weekend’s 23-16 Jets win over the Cleveland Browns.
- Patriots: no players listed
- Jets: RB Ty Johnson (hip), G Pat Elflein (ankle), DT Nathan Shepherd (calf), CB Arthur Maulet (ankle)
No Patriots went from limited to full availability for the week’s initial walkthrough.
But four Jets practiced with the full designation, including Shepherd, who has registered sacks in back-to-back games for the defensive line.