The New England Patriots took to the practice fields one last time in 2020.
And during Thursday’s preparations for the New York Jets, six remained sidelined while safety Devin McCourty returned as a limited participant amid the attrition.
Here’s the New Year’s Eve injury report heading into Sunday’s 1 p.m. ET finale at Gillette Stadium.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: G Shaq Mason (calf), C David Andrews (calf), LB Tashawn Bower (neck/concussion), LB Josh Uche (foot), LB Anfernee Jennings (shoulder), LB Terez Hall (ankle)
- Jets: CB Bless Austin (not injury related)
In addition to wide receiver Julian Edelman, who remains on injured reserve, the Patriots who sat out Thursday’s practice did the same during Wednesday’s walkthrough. Each had exited Monday night’s 38-9 loss to the Buffalo Bills. It was a game that Mason, Andrews, Bower, Uche and Hall all started. The depth along the interior offensive line as well as the linebacker spots is now in focus for New England.
One Jet continued to sit out on Thursday. New York had placed running back Frank Gore and guard Josh Andrews on injured reserve following the initial practice of Week 17.
- Patriots: RB Damien Harris (ankle), WR Donte Moncrief (thigh), WR Matt Slater (knee), OT Jermaine Eluemunor (ankle), OT Justin Herron (ankle), DT Lawrence Guy (shoulder), DT Byron Cowart (back), DT Adam Butler (shoulder), LB Shilique Calhoun (knee), LB Ja’Whaun Bentley (shoulder), CB J.C. Jackson (knee), CB Justin Bethel (neck), S Devin McCourty (shoulder), LS Joe Cardona (ankle), K Nick Folk (back)
- Jets: WR Jeff Smith (shoulder), CB Javelin Guidry (knee)
The Patriots listed 15 as limited on Thursday as McCourty took part while managing a shoulder injury. The defensive captain had been spotted but ruled a non-participant in the previous practice after playing a season-low 49 percent of the snaps. And on special teams, New England added Bethel to the injury report because of a neck ailment. Harris at running back, Guy at defensive tackle, Calhoun at outside linebacker and Bentley at inside linebacker had been questionable and inactive for the Buffalo matchup.
The Jets practiced with a pair of limited as the visit to Foxborough nears.
- Patriots: no players listed
- Jets: RB Ty Johnson (hip), OT Chuma Edoga (not injury related), G Pat Elflein (ankle), DT Nathan Shepherd (calf), DE John Franklin-Myers (not injury related), LB Neville Hewitt (not injury related), CB Bryce Hall (not injury related), CB Arthur Maulet (ankle), S Marcus Maye (not injury related)
No Patriots went from limited to full availability on Thursday.
But the Jets had nine go in full, including a handful who missed Wednesday’s practice for reasons not related to injury.