The New England Patriots returned to the practice fields without two team captains.
Running back James White and center David Andrews did not participate in Wednesday’s session. An additional four members of the New England active roster, including wide receivers Julian Edelman and N’Keal Harry, did so in a limited capacity as preparations for the Las Vegas Raiders continue.
Here’s the initial prognosis heading into Sunday’s 1 p.m. ET kickoff at Gillette Stadium.
DID NOT PARTICIPATE
- Patriots: RB James White (not injury related), C David Andrews (hand)
- Raiders: RB Josh Jacobs (hip), TE Darren Waller (knee), OT Trent Brown (calf), G Denzelle Good (thumb/illness), G Richie Incognito (Achilles), DE Carl Nassib (illness), LB Nick Kwiatkoski (pectoral)
White was among New England’s inactives versus the Seattle Seahawks last Sunday night, hours after a car crash in Florida killed his father and left his mother hospitalized in critical condition. Wednesday’s Patriots practice would mark the first absence for Andrews since the start of the regular season. The veteran center, sidelined by a hand injury, has played all 136 offensive snaps through a pair of games.
The Raiders practiced without several starters following Monday night’s matchup against the New Orleans Saints. Offensive pillars in Jacobs and Waller combined for 208 yards from scrimmage and one touchdown in the 34-24 win, while Incognito has since been placed on IR with an Achilles injury.
- Patriots: WR Julian Edelman (knee), WR N’Keal Harry (ankle), DT Adam Butler (shoulder), LB Brandon Copeland (knee)
- Raiders: WR Bryan Edwards (foot), OT Sam Young (groin)
Each of New England’s limited on Wednesday had been listed as questionable on the final injury report of Week 2. Each saw the field in the 35-30 loss to Seattle. Edelman and Harry both set career highs with 179 and 72 receiving yards, respectively. The latter wideout is now managing an ankle injury.
Two Raiders had partial availability on Wednesday.
- Patriots: no players listed
- Raiders: WR Hunter Renfrow (ankle), WR Henry Ruggs (knee), G John Simpson (shoulder), LB Corey Littleton (shoulder), CB Damon Arnette (wrist/thumb), S Johnathan Abram (shoulder)
Tight end Dalton Keene and linebacker Josh Uche have been removed from the injury report for New England. The third-rounder from Virginia Tech and the second-rounder from Michigan await their NFL debuts. A neck injury kept Keene inactive at CenturyLink Field last weekend, while an ankle injury saw Uche ruled out prior to the flight. Patriots All-Pro special-teamer Matthew Slater would also go unlisted on Wednesday. He was previously questionable because of a knee ailment.
Two defensive backs who arrived in the first rounds of the 2019 and 2020 drafts practiced in full for the Raiders.