The Super Bowl is over, the parade is done, and the 2022 NFL season is officially in the books. Finally.
I don’t know about any of you, but the end of this past season couldn’t come fast enough for me. The Patriots limped to an 8-9 finish, arguably their worst year in the Bill Belichick era, and it was a season riddled with self-inflicted wounds, uninspired play-calling, frustrating losses, and an overall failure to build on what was a promising 2021 campaign.
That’s not to say that there weren’t some great moments that took place this past season, and at the end of the day football always trumps no football. It’s time to kick off my annual countdown — welcome to the Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2022.
Over the coming days, weeks, and months, I’ll be going through and breaking down what I think represent the 20 most memorable moments that best encapsulate the 2022 season as a whole. The good, the bad, and the ugly will all be put on full display as I reflect on the year that was. I know that this particular Top 20 won’t be nearly as fun as countdowns of years past, particularly those that ended in Super Bowls, but hopefully we can all still look back on some of the things that took place this past season fondly.
Fair warning, though: a number of moments on this list are not going to be pretty. Not even close. I’ll admit that I very strongly considered making one of the moments “Two-Yard Run, Incompletion, Sack, Punt,” as that’s probably what we’ll remember most from 2022, but ultimately refrained. So prepare yourself to take the bad with the good.
But before we dive in, as always, let’s take one final look back at the Top 20 Moments of 2021. That season seems like a lifetime ago.
20. The Patriots trade Stephon Gilmore to the Panthers for a sixth-round pick.
17. Mac Jones hits Nelson Agholor for the first TD of the season against the Miami Dolphins.
14. Mac Jones is named the starter over Cam Newton.
11. Kendrick Bourne connects with Nelson Agholor to kick off an epic beatdown of the New York Jets.
9. Free Agent Frenzy.
7. A diving interception gives J.C. Jackson an impressive record.
6. Damien Harris bowls over seven different Jets on his way to a 26 yard touchdown run.
3. A 22 yard laser from Mac Jones to Kendrick Bourne caps off a 99 yard scoring drive against the Cleveland Browns.
2. The Patriots draft Mac Jones.