clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Patriots owner Robert Kraft is auctioning off his Super Bowl 51 ring for charity

Related: Patriots help distribute over two million meals to support families affected by Covid-19

NFL Combine - Day 2 Photo by Alika Jenner/Getty Images

The New England Patriots have been actively supporting communities during the Corronavirus crisis, and team owner Robert Kraft has taken another step to do good in these times of need: he is auctioning off his Super Bowl ring from the Patriots’ comeback win over the Atlanta Falcons to cap the 2016 season as part of the “All-In Challenge” initiated by the founder of Fanatics, Michael Rubin.

As of Sunday night, more than $38 million have been raised — and Kraft’s ring will add significantly more to that total: the highest bid at the moment is $330,000 with 11 more days to go. Kraft announced the decision to donate his ring via social media:

“What could I do that would be special? I’ve been thinking about it for weeks,” Kraft said in the video message shared by ESPN. “I finally thought about our Super Bowl experience in Super Bowl 51 against the Atlanta Falcons in Houston. With two-and-a-half minutes left in the third period, we were down 28-3 and had a 0.4 percent chance of winning — 99.6 percent chance to lose. And we came back, and we won.”

“And I thought about what is going on at this time and wanted to give something of extreme value in support of our health care workers. So I thought it would be good to give this ring, our fifth Super Bowl win [...] because it showed how we came back,” the Patriots’ owner continued. “We’re the greatest country in the world, with the greatest people, who feel a sense of team and work together in the toughest times.”

“So I want to give this ring to someone who will be worthy enough to bid it up, so we can get meals to all these people who are hurting badly at this time,” he added. The winner will also receive a personal visit with Kraft at Gillette Stadium and be flown in on his private plane if necessary.