Coming off their first losing season in two decades, the New England Patriots decided to make some big investments in both free agency and the draft. As a result, they have a much improved team on paper — one that could very well bounce back from its 7-9 record last year.
However, the oddsmakers are less confident in that happening. According to game-by-game predictions by Westgate Superbook, New England is currently favored in just seven of its games this year:
- Week 1: vs Miami Dolphins (-2 1/2)
- Week 2: at New York Jets (-3)
- Week 3: vs New Orleans Saints (+1)
- Week 4: vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+3 1/2)
- Week 5: at Houston Texans (-6)
- Week 6: vs Dallas Cowboys (-1)
- Week 7: vs New York Jets (-6)
- Week 8: at Los Angeles Chargers (+2 1/2)
- Week 9: vs Carolina Panthers (PK)
- Week 10: vs Cleveland Browns (+2)
- Week 11: at Atlanta Falcons (+1 1/2)
- Week 12: vs Tennessee Titans (-1)
- Week 13: at Buffalo Bills (+7)
- Week 15: at Indianapolis Colts (+5 1/2)
- Week 16: vs Buffalo Bills (+3 1/2)
- Week 17: vs Jacksonville Jaguars (-5 1/2)
- Week 18: at Miami Dolphins (+2 1/2)
While some of the numbers do seem reasonable at this point in time, others are a bit curious from the current perspective. The Patriots are favored to beat Tennessee, for example, but are expected to lose comparatively convincingly against a Colts team with more questions across its roster. New England also is expected to lose against the post-Drew Brees Saints and the Falcons led by a new coaching staff.
Obviously, all of those predictions could turn out to be accurate — a lot can and will happen between now and when the games are actually played — but for the time being we will refer to the more optimistic projections made by Pats Pulpit’s own Matthew Rewinski.